Step into

In this section you can write to us about the MDT bugs & problems you have noticed.

Step into

Postby Vladimir » 13 Sep 2013, 13:43

Hi, all.

Debug function "Step into" does not work correctly. It does not step into the method, but works like "Step over".
What could be the reason?

Magik Development Tools Professional Edition
Version: 3.1.0.PE-20120220-1429

Thanks and regards,
Vladimir
Vladimir

Re: Step into

Postby Bartek » 15 Sep 2013, 22:28

Hello Vladimir,

Could you possibly describe your problem with the "Step Into" functionality more precisely?

In case of debugging features available in MDT we are not able to solve some problems due to the limitations of modules/classes that are provided with Smallworld Core (4.1 or higher) for debugging purposes. Some of the issues are related to "Step Into" functionality as well. To be more precise I will try to describe briefly those limitations:

"Step Into" will work like "Step Over" if you try to jump into internal expression and i.e. related method definition does not have sources available in provided file path.
    If you have more than one internal expression, and sources are available, then "Step Into" will jump only to the first one and after all it will jump to the next "outer" expression (it won't step into the next internal expressions)

Generally speaking, MDT uses the same base/support classes that are also used by "Very Simple Debugger" available in development tools from Smallworld Core installation and we have to deal with some related limitations. If you can check out a behavior of "Very Simple Debugger" in the same situation and the effect will be the same in MDT then it means that the Smallworld Core support classes are the ones to blame.

With best regards.
Bartlomiej Laczkowski
Training & Deployment Manager - MDT Team
ASTEC Sp. z o.o.
Bartek

Postby Vladimir » 16 Sep 2013, 11:46

Thanks for reply.
I have checked out behavior of "Very Simple Debugger":"Step into" in the same situation (same classes and methods) works fine.

Regards,
Vladimir
Vladimir

Postby Bartek » 16 Sep 2013, 12:45

Hello,

As I noticed you use an old release of MDT and there might be an issue which can affect the way "Step Into" works. Could you possibly check if you have a source file (with the method definition that you want to step in) available in your workspace? To be more precise you need to have this file anywhere in your Magik project as a local/linked source or as a project dependency to be able to step in. If it is not available then MDT (in this particular release) will not inform you about it.

With best regards.
Bartlomiej Laczkowski
Training & Deployment Manager - MDT Team
ASTEC Sp. z o.o.
Bartek

Postby Vladimir » 16 Sep 2013, 13:47

Source file with method definition is in my workspace. I can go to it by Ctrl+Left mouse from method from which "Step into" should be proceeded.

Regards
Vladimir
Vladimir

Postby Blazej » 20 Sep 2013, 08:06

Hello Vladimir,

It is hard for us to reproduce this problem because you work on MDT 3.1, which has been released in Feb 2012. To our knowledge in current version this behavior should not appear. I would suggest that you update your environment to current release 3.3. If that is somehow not possible you could try to install another instance of MDT - the trial version for MDT 3.3 (downloadable here) and see how "Step Into" action behaves there. This should help us to narrow the search.

Looking forward to your feedback.
Błażej Sytar
MDT Support Team
ASTEC Sp. z o.o.
Blazej

Return to Bugs & problems